I enjoyed the Sally Clarkson women’s conference I went to this past weekend. Her theme this year was the Lifegiving Home – Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming. She shared with us (over 1000 women!) how she and her husband went about creating a Godly home where her 4 homeschooled children were taught the Scriptures and to love one another, to be a servant (meaning as Christ was a servant… I’m not talking child labor here), to be confident in who God made them to be and to share the Gospel with passion and conviction with the world.
Her oldest daughter is studying writing at Oxford in England. Her oldest son is an accomplished composer and plays many instruments. I can’t remember where he studied but he composed a number that the Pope selected to be played at one of his recent events. Her 3 child is an actor and filmmaker and made the movie Confessions of a Prodigal Son. Her 4th child completed her bachelor degree at the age of 20. Joy is taking a year off from college to work 3 jobs, save her money and go to Oxford for her masters degree. All of Sally’s children are successful adults but what I found most interesting is their love of the Lord and their conviction to share their love of the Lord with the world.
Here a few favorite quotes:
- God must be the source of life, truth and strength in our home. Psalm 127:1 Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman keep awake in vain.
- Build life-long routines that bring life, beauty, legacy and love. Galations 6:9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.
- “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.” –Robert Frost
- Mentors are those who draw our what God has put into His design of the person under our influence.
- Teach your children to live in a dark world, not to be afraid of it.
- Let love be the basis of relationships in your home.
- Accept limitations of their personality and minister to them according to their design.
- Life Purpose – to glorify God, to serve His kingdom. Matthew 6:33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
- Controlling children does not raise Godly children. Teach them about choices; there are blessings and consequences to all choices.
- Give children an appetite for work.
- What we practice we become, what we sow we reap, what we water will grow.
- Prepare your children for spiritual battle and suffering in their lives.
- Where are you investing? What story is your life telling?
And my favorite quote from the weekend is: Right is always right even if no one else is doing it. Wrong is always wrong even if everyone is doing it. I find this quote especially true in our current society. We live in a time when evil is called good and good is called evil. Without God’s word as our moral compass who decides what is morally right or morally wrong.