I love chicken parmesan but I’ve never had much luck making restaurant quality chicken parmesan at home…. until now! This chicken parmesan was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The best part… it’s gluten free!!!
2 1/2 cups Gluten Free Panko, divided
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4″ thick
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1-1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top.
- In a food processor grind 3/4 cup of the Panko until it’s a powder – this will be your flour.
- Place ground Panko, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl and gently mix.
- Beat eggs in a second shallow bowl.
- Combine remaining Panko and parmesan in a third shallow bowl.
- Set up an assembly line and dredge the chicken in the ground Panko, shaking off any excess.
- Transfer to the beaten egg and turn to coat. You want the flour to be covered in the eggs.
- Allow the excess to drip back into the bowl.
- Place the chicken in the Panko parmesan mixture and coat evenly. Press to adhere.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large heavy skillet or a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, cook the chicken until golden brown – about 4-6 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown – about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to the cooling rack on the pan.
- Add more oil if needed and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Preheat broiler and place rack in upper third of oven.
- Place a 1/4 cup of sauce on top of the breasts down the center. Try not to get it to the edges.
- Evenly divide the cheese on top of the sauce.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese in bubbly.
To make gluten free panko all you need to do is grind up Gluten Free Rice or Corn Chex!
Thank you to the Kitchen Whisperer for this wonderful recipe! www.thekitchenwhisperer.net